Saturday, September 25, 2010

I'm buying stock in Gu.

Ahhh, the morning of Day 2-Ragnar DC.  Due to Monica's sprained ankle, I ran Van 1's last leg of our second section, at the ripe hour 12:50am.  Around 9pm, when we started our second portion, I. WAS. PUMPED!!  I couldn't wait to run!  Around 11pm, I started to fall asleep.  I decided to wake myself up around 12:30 by downing some Gu, doing some yoga, and running around like a crazy person.  Even though I wasn't fully conscious, I was off on my 5.9 mile run!

Running that late at night was a really incredible experience.  Terrifying, but incredible.  The first song of my iPod ended when I was on a flat, tree-covered stretch of road.  "Wow, this is so beautiful and peaceful!  Maybe I'll go without the Pod and listen to the sounds of the night," I thought.  This worked out really well until I heard a constant swishing noise.  "OH MY GOD!  That's definitely a killer, in the woods with a sickle, waiting to kill me!"  Needless to say, this very realistic thought motivated me to run faster than I thought I could.  No matter how fast I ran, the sound continued to follow me!  The killer was running along with me through the woods!!  By the time I had accepted the fact that I was going to be killed, I realized the terrifying swishing noise was the sound of my reflective vest rubbing against my t-shirt.  My heart rate went down to a live-able rate and my iPod went back on...

The second section was significantly less difficult than the first.  Less dust, less heat, smaller-sized hills, more cows, good times. 

For the night, I slept on a deflated air mattress in the middle of a field.  Just me and the stars...and Monica.  And Paul.  And about 100 other runners.

Three hours of sleep and we have been running for 24 hours!  Bottomless pancakes await us.  I hope we find the strength to make it there.

Oh-bathing with baby wipes is my favorite.

-Kendra

1 comment: